Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Keeping a Pack Light

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Keeping a Pack Light

Postby Cee » Fri Aug 23, 2024 6:01 pm

After completing a weeklong solo backpacking trip on the High Sierra Trail last month, I realized that I really had to cut down drastically on pack weight in three places: tent, backpack, and bear canister.

Back in October 2016 Phil had started a thread on "What's in your pack" where people mentioned ultralight equipment, without any specifics. After talking with people on the trail and looking at reviews, I have narrowed down to:
* Durston XMid 1 P for my tent: I was leaning towards the Pro since it is significantly lighter, but wonder if the condensation will be a major issue.
* Either the Gossamer Gear Mariposa or the ULA Circuit Ultra for the backpack

All of these are made by small companies that do sell direct. This means I cannot check them beforehand. This is definitely an issue with the backpack, which is so individual.

Nevertheless, as I gear up for a weeklong backpacking trip in Yosemite next year, I would love to hear from others about their experience, good or bad, with specific gear. Since all 3 companies (Durston, Gossamer Gear, ULA) made changes to equipment this year, if anybody used the 2024 models, please chime in.

Basically, I would love to know how people have managed to dial down their base weight while still staying comfortable.

Thanks in advance,
Cee

PS: If this should have been posted elsewhere, please let me know. I tried looking through John Ladd's survey google drive, but could not find any recent data.
Cee
Regular
Regular

Re: Keeping a Pack Light

Postby balzaccom » Sun Aug 25, 2024 6:46 am

I'm not ultra light, but here are a few ideas.

1. I don't hike in the rain or snow. What that means is that I watch the weather, and if it shows a high chance of thunderstorms in the Sierra, I stay home. Sure, I've been rained on, sometimes for hours, but by then I'm in my tent. And I really try to avoid cold and snow. that allows me to leave a lot of clothing at home.
2. Tent is a tarptent from Henry Shires. Either the 1-man or, with my wife, the 3-man rainbow. It comes in at about 3 pounds for two people. Less than 2 pounds for the 1-man.
3. My pack is a Go-light that I bought years ago. I think they are now out of business. It cost $75 on sale.
4. As per #1 above, I wear one shirt and one pair of pants to hike in, and I wear them all week long. Two pairs of socks and undies, washing them each night. One pair of "warmies"--very lightweight pajamas to sleep in. In extremely cold weather (hey, it happens) these get worn underneath the rest of my clothes.
5. For an overnight, I don't take a stove. I eat crackers and cheese, or a PBJ sandwich for meals, granola w/o milk for breakfast,
6. I take one puffy jacket, a Marmot, and a wool hat. And I take a very lightweight rainshell from Montem.

Total pack weight, including sawyer water filter, and all the doodads like headlamp and pocket knife, comes to about 14 pounds, The bear can adds another 2 pounds to that.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking